Avocado – Nutritional Powerhouse!
Avocados are actually large berries that grow on a tree that can reach 6 feet tall. Just like a banana, the avocado ripens 1-2 weeks after being picked.
Avocados are often referred to as the healthiest food due to their impressive nutritional content.
An avocado contains these vitamins and minerals:
- An avocado contains more potassium than a banana. Avocados have 14% and a banana contains 10% potassium.
- Avocados have high levels of folic acid which lowers incidences of heart disease. Folate is also essential in the prevention of birth defects such as spina bifida and neural tube defect.
*They also contain high levels Vitamin E and glutathione which are potent antioxidants
- Eating avocados greatly increase absorption of carotenoids (lycopene and beta carotene) which are anti-oxidants that promote healthy eyes and heart.
- Avocados contain significant amounts of the carotenoid lutein which is strongly protective against macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Avocados can lower (LDL) bad cholesterol by up to 22% while increasing (HDL) good cholesterol by 11% and also can lower triglycerides by up to 20%.
- Avocados contain high oleic acid which helps prevent breast cancer, inhibits tumor growth in prostate cancer and seeks out precancerous and oral cancer cells and destroys them.
- Avocados are high in fiber. Fiber helps improve digestive health, improves glycemic control, and increase satiety (feeling full!).
- Avocado extract paired with a carrier oil can reduce the symptoms of arthritis.
- Avocados can help clean the intestines, and thereby help eliminate bad breath.
Avocado Baked Egg Recipe
Prep time: 25 minutes 355 calories
1 Avocado, halved and pitted
¼ cup crumbled bacon
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Place each avocado half in small oven safe container like this https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/Two_ramekins.jpg or similar
Crack 1 egg into each avocado half, season with salt and black pepper and place containers on baking sheet.
Bake in the preheated oven until entire egg is cooked through – about 15 minutes. Spring each acocade with Bacon and Chives.